Simply Beautiful

Simply Beautiful
Every night has a New Day Coming

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"My soul follows hard after thee"

I'm on a wonderful journey right now.  I have come to a place in my life where I'm not happy and no longer satisfied with my current relationship with God.  For the first time in over 20 years I feel a drawing, almost as if the Lord is saying to me "Come up higher" and I am doing all I can to do just that.  I do not have a set pattern or plan but my ears are open to His voice and I'm following the pull of my heart. 

The next few (?) entries of this blog will be reflections and insights about this journey as I share with you all He is doing, how I am doing, and where He is taking me.  I hope these entries do you some good.

#1) Last week I made me a list - I'm a very list oriented person - of things I believe I need to do on a daily basis if I'm going to see more of God in my life and be in His ultimate will.  On the list I placed the following:
* Start the day with my devotion
* Spend at least 20 minutes in devoted prayer. (This means 20 minutes of just me and my Father. Not prayer requests given to me as a pastor or even needs in my own life or body, 20 minutes just talking to God as a friend)
* Read one chapter of Proverbs a day. (Recently I was taught that is there's ANY book of the Bible that is a "Man's" book in the Word of God it is Proverbs.  It provides directions for daily living so it is my foundation for daily reading.)
* Read one chapter from each of two books I have owned for some time yet never had the time to read. (I have the standard pastor's library but I believe the Spirit of God directed me towards these two for my current needs.)
* Be in bed by 11PM. (I've always been a night owl.  I love to watch TV once the kids are I bed and my wife is asleep as this means no interruptions and I can pay attention to my program.  God opened my eyes to the absolute necessity of rest.  I may not go right to sleep but once I get in bed slumber usually catches me pretty quick.)

These are MY list.  Now yours may be completely different but this one is mine and I'm seeing some powerful effects.  Do you see anything I am missing?  When you read these things is there a glaring absence you believe would be even more effective?  I hope I don't sound rude, but I do not want your recommendations as I'm listening to the voice of the Lord.  When you see something missing or a practice you believe is unnecessary it might be that you need to make a list of your own.  If like me you have become unsatisfied with things as they are, then why not do something about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment