Simply Beautiful

Simply Beautiful
Every night has a New Day Coming

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Teaching Giants of my life...

This is part three of my post series on the men and women who ministered to me in my life, those "Giants" who invested their time and wisdom to disciple an honery kid who became a pastor.  As with all good series, this didn't start as such but had so many good points that I felt Ephesians 4:11 deserved a full look.  I want to remember my Sunday School teachers in the hope it may inspire todays teachers who have problem children they deal with each week.  Who knows, that kid that is a test for you each week could be your pastor one day (and then you can pay him/her back!).

In NO particular order...
Phyllis Jones - Phyllis is the first Sunday School teacher I remember (and just barely).  Although I had her for a very short time after we moved she remains in my heart.  The love and fuzzy memories I still possess for her should remind us all that even when we teach the very little ones we are playing an important foundational role in their lives.  Thanks Phyllis and all you other folks who teach the most tiring ages.

Betty Kelough - As a kid my parents moved me from the Texas panhandle to Okmulgee, Oklahoma.  It was hard leaving my friends and my church, but Betty made it better.  She taught us, entertained us, and she even introduced me to pizza! (PTL!) Whenever I hear people talk about a church that has cell groups I think of Betty because her class WAS everything cell groups try to be today.  She was a trend setter!

Danny Rhodes - Dan taught our SS class, taught at the local high school, and was even a coach.  You'd think this man would have had enough of us kids but he taught our class for almost 6 years!  He set an example of dedication I wish todays "tired" generation could learn from.  Thanks Coach!

Dianna Milligan - My mother in law was an AWESOME SS teacher.  When I was an older teen she took over our class and did such a great job even knotheaded boys listened!  Her class was fun and interesting, almost a Sunday morning youth group.  She had the unusual gift of making it seem like you had come to her home for a devotional and fellowship.  She was a crown jewell in our church's SS ministry.

Ronald Milligan - My father in law was also a gifted teacher.  Anytime he isn't teaching I think what a waste of talent.  One series in particular sticks with me and that was a study of the life of David.  What Ron didn't teach he intrigued me to go discover.  That's the best kind of teaching.

There have been several others I have seen and listened to as a Pastor, but these 5 remain giants in my limited life.  Thank you to all who have worked with so little recognition.  I know the Lord has taken note.

No comments:

Post a Comment