Simply Beautiful

Simply Beautiful
Every night has a New Day Coming

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas 2012

I've said before this blog isn't always about some great revelation.  Occasionally I testify or even get on my soap box if I see something that burns my biscuits.  This edition is definitely a testimony.

The last 48 hours have been one of the best Christmas Eve/Christmas Day I've ever known.  Many of our church folks had asked us "Are you going home for Christmas?' to which our reply was "We are home."  This wasn't trying to be reassuring or anything of the like, but a straight response of how we love our new home and how there's no draw to go elsewhere.  There's an old song that said "Home is where you're happy when you're happy you're home."  Then PTL we're home.

The day before Christmas we had finished all our shopping and were blessed to sleep late.  A brother in the Lord invited me to a round of golf and even though it was December 24th it was warm enough we worked up a sweat (we've started walking the course for health benefits).  When we finished I took the family out for lunch and a little grocery shopping that was Wal-Mart on Christmas Eve.  I learned that when you have no more gifts to buy the hustle and bustle is MUCH less stressful.

We came home, did a few chores around the house, watched a Christmas movie or two while we feasted on a buffet of home cooked meals (left overs) in the refrigerator.  By that time our relaxed day had become 8:30 in the evening and I had an idea.  We took a long drive around our new home to see what it looked like under the peace and calm blanket of the year's most holy night.  We went everywhere and were about to come home when my cell phone rang.  A man who our church had been praying for had left this world for a new and wonderful heavenly home.

Now it may seem strange but this was a blessing too.  You see, although this gentleman was not directly a part of our church, his family is a big part of it.  We went to their home and spent a couple of hours talking with those he left behind and in my heart I marvelled at the love and concern of this family.  Their devotion to one another was inspiring and somehow made the night seem more "holy".  By the time we got home it was in the wee hours of Christmas morning and I fell asleep in prayer as I thanked God for my own loved ones.

Christmas Day we unwrapped our wonderful gifts, ate WAY too much of a holiday meal making recipes from my wife's family, and then went with friends to see Les Miserables with a packed audience.  All in all a truly great day.

Now I sit here on my couch with the kids tucked in their beds and my sweetheart asleep beside me.  I am a blessed and dare I say rich man.  I will always remember this Christmas for a number of good reasons, but the one I think will stick with me more than any other is the sense of gratitude that I retire with.  Deeper than Thanksgiving should be our appreciation for what Christmas truly brings, the best present which is our families. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and YOU ARE LOVED!

1 comment:

  1. Thoroughly enjiyed your blog. You certainly are blessed and rich. For riches shouldn't be counted in money, gold, or silver; but in the love, family, and friends we have. God bless you brother and your family.

    ReplyDelete