Simply Beautiful

Simply Beautiful
Every night has a New Day Coming

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"Et Tu, Brute"

Not long ago I was forced to retire a couple of my favorite Bibles for their own preservation.  These were my everywhere, everything Bibles.  I had used them in sermon prep, attending services, holding notes, etc. the list is long.  But after such wear they were beginning to fall apart so I needed a new one.  Now most pastors have a lot of Bibles.  We get them as gifts, buy them as resources and so all I needed to do was go to my bookcase and there sat one, brand new and still in it's box.

This Bible had a beautifully tooled leather cover and even had my name imprinted on it in gold lettering.  It was almost perfect.  The almost comes from the fact that the words of Christ were not printed in red (always been a pet peeve of mine).  Normally I would have just set it back aside but there was something about the easy reading of it that drew me so I thought "I'll just have to fix this one myself" and I set about to highlight every word of Jesus.  Wow!  What a great idea that turned out to be.  In reading and then re-reading as I made sure I highlighted the right words I have been so moved and excited by a perspective I have never noticed before.  It is from there I want to share something with you.

In John 13:21 the word says "After Jesus said this, he was very troubled. He said openly, “I tell you the truth, one of you will turn against me.”  I couldn't quit dwelling on that and couldn't figure out why.  Jesus was VERY troubled by Judas betrayal even though He knew it would happen.  WHY?  Jesus had told everyone that one of them would betray Him.  He knew it was coming and from whom.  This leads me to conclude there was an especially close bond between Jesus and Judas.  Look at John 13:21-30 and see what I mean.  Even when He pointedly said who it was the others could not grasp it.  I say this because later after the betrayal and before His arrest in the garden Judas is with the gang as if the Lord's revelation of betrayal had never happened (John 14:18-24).  The disciples undoubtedly said among themselves, "He couldn't mean Judas will betray Him."

So even though they didn't get it and Jesus knew what would happen it didn't seem to lessen the blow.  Again I wondered why, but not for long.  The answer is obvious in ourselves.  Jesus became flesh and in many ways He experienced all the same things we do.  Now He was facing a terrible betrayal.  Jesus knew and loved Judas.  Our Lord had chosen the twelve Himself.  They had walked dusty roads, preached to thousands, slept beside the same campfires and shared many meals together.  Those men were undoubtedly closer to the Lord than His own family of flesh.  They were truly His friends (John 15:15) and even though He knew it was coming the "Son of God" was born of Mary and the pain of disloyalty cut Him deep.

I looked up betrayal in the Bible and found this on the HeartQuest 101 site: "Scripture records a number of occasions in which a person or group was betrayed. The tragedies caused by these violations of trust are a strong lesson about the importance of keeping our commitments, and building trust in relationships."  Some examples they give are;
  1. Delilah betrayed Samson to the Philistines. Judges 16:16-21
  2. David betrayed Uriah to hide his sin. 2 Samuel 11:14-15
  3. Absalom betrayed Amnon, his half-brother, to avenge the rape of his sister. 2 Samuel 13:28
  4. Absalom betrayed David, his father, as he sought to steal the kingdom. 2 Samuel 15:10-17
  5. Joab betrayed Amasa, a rival military officer. 2 Samuel 20:10
  6. Jehu betrayed Joram and killed him. 2 Kings 9:14-27
  7. Officials betrayed Joash and killed him. 2 Kings 12:20, 21
  8. Haman betrayed God’s people. Esther 3:8-11
  9. Officials betrayed Daniel and attacked him for his devotion to God. Daniel 6:4-5, 6-8
  10. Judas betrayed Jesus, and handed Him over to the religious leaders. Matthew 26:46-56
  11. The Jews betrayed Paul, and conspired to kill him. Acts 23:12-14
Betrayal is nothing new yet the pain remains powerful, even more so when it is by those closest to us. Never forget that Jesus knew Peter would betray His friendship when he denied even knowing Him (Matthew 26, Mark 14, Luke 22, John 13).  Like everyone else I have known the pain of disloyalty.  In fact the first time I took note of Jeremiah 12:6 I felt as though the Lord was talking directly to me.  Betrayal may hurt but instead of being bitter or angry we should take note again of Jesus and what He did after all this.  Although Judas took his own life and sealed his eternal fate Jesus prayed for the rest who had abandoned Him (John 17:1-26) and personally made sure Peter KNEW he was forgiven (John 21:15-19).  We have to forgive those who "spitefully use us" or even those who would just like to bring us harm (Matthew 5:39). 

In my own situation I found that when I forgave I served myself.  Someone who had been very dear to me had hurt me and I had been in denial about it until I received a phone call from a third party that opened my eyes to things I will not share here.  Needless to say the next few months were difficult.  But when the Lord spoke to my heart that I had to let that go if I was going to serve Him I chased after it until I could.  I wrote a letter to the one who had hurt me and held on to it for quite a while before I could send it.  It was only when I dropped it in the mailbox that I felt the burden lift from my heart.

Forgive others for yourself.  See what loving imperfect people can do for your own imperfect soul.  I can promise you that you will be glad you did.  Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and remember, YOU ARE LOVED!

No comments:

Post a Comment